As a Physiotherapist this is the most common condition I have treated over the period of 12 years. Usually patients come to the clinic with heel pain or foot pain which increases with standing or walking.
What is plantar Fasciitis?
It is inflammation of thick tissue which is located at the bottom of your foot running from the heel of the foot to your toes.
- Heel pain
- Pain at the sole of the foot
- First few steps are painful in the morning and usually decrease as you walk more
- Increased pain with prolonged walking or standing
- Increased pain while rising from chair after prolonged sitting.
Causes of Plantar fasciitis
It can develop without any obvious cause but there are some risk factor you could be aware of:
- Wrong footwear
- Occupations which requires prolonged standing or walking
- Activities like running or hiking.
It is easy to diagnose in the clinical set up without any imaging but in some cases MRI, X-ray or Ultrasound could be helpful.